Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Spring Break: Niagara Falls Frozen Over

     Most of my college-aged peers spent their spring breaks in sunny and warm places like the Caribbean, but I, however, spent it in the tundra. I flew home to see my parents over my last spring break ever, and we took a trip to visit Niagara Falls, since it is always so gorgeous in the wintertime. 
     I only live about an hour away from the Falls, so going there is normal for me. I have realized through my experience with going to school in a different state, however, that visiting Niagara is a really big deal for other people. I got the chance to take my boyfriend to visit the Falls for the first time. Little did he know that everything would be frozen or that it would be quite so cold. 
Yeah, we were freezing. 
     Most people who I know that have visited the Falls, have gone when the weather is nice. Obviously, this is the ideal time to visit Niagara, but if you ever get the chance to see them in the winter, it is truly a sight to behold. Sometimes, the mist from the Falls freezes everything near it, including the branches of the trees and the curling railings. It really becomes a winter wonderland, unlike anything that I have ever seen before. 
     When we visited this last time, there were huge floes of ice in the horseshoe of the Falls. It was more frozen than I had ever witnessed in my past visits. 
    Another thing that I would urge you to do if you ever visit Niagara is to go to both the US side and the Canadian side. They are both so different. Personally, I like the Canadian side best, since it feels a bit more like a city. I also love visiting Niagara-on-the-Lake when it is nice outside. I have grown up visiting the Falls, and it has become something that I love to do whenever I can. 
     What did you do over Spring break?

1 comment:

  1. Angela-- love it! I hope I can one day visit Niagara Falls :)

    ReplyDelete